In WordPress you can easily add images and media (image, audio, video) into a post or page as you edit. You can also upload multiple images and other files directly to your Media Library. Both methods are described below.
Adding Media to a Post or Page
With a post or page opened in edit mode, click the “Add Media” button above the top left corner of the text editor.
This opens an “Add Media” window, where you can choose among the following five actions:
- Insert Media: Inserts a file that you upload or select from your Media Library
- Create Gallery: Creates a gallery of images (grid of thumbnails linked to larger versions)
- Create Video Playlist: Finds video files you’ve uploaded and helps you create a list of player links.
- Create Audio Playlist: Finds audio files you’ve uploaded and helps you create a list of player links.
- Featured Image: Lets you add a banner image that will appear on a single post or page.
For each of the actions above, you are given the choice to:
- Upload Files from your computer using drag and drop, or by browsing;
- select files already uploaded to your Media Library
A sixth action, Insert from URL, allows you to embed an image that resides on another web site — without copying or uploading it. There are good reasons NOT to do this — copyright permissions, for example. Also, if the image is deleted from the other site, it will vanish from yours.
After you upload an image, the Insert Media window will refresh, showing a thumbnail and a panel of settings for the media asset you’ve uploaded. Here you can insert a caption, an ALT image tag and a description (for accessibility compliance). You can also apply alignment, linking, and size attributes to the image.
Click “Insert into post” when you are finished. WordPress returns to the Edit Post window.
Notice that when you select an image in the Edit Post window, two buttons appear over the image. One allows you to delete the image; the other opens an Edit Image window where you have access to both basic and advanced settings.
Adding Media to Media Library
Assets uploaded directly to the Media Library are not attached to any post, but are available for use in any number of posts and pages, or for creating a gallery or slideshow of selected images.
To upload media assets to the Media Library, click the Media link in your Dashboard’s left menu to open the Media Library page. The page gives you access to all your media assets.
Click “Add New,” either at the top of the page or in the Media submenu.
Upload files from your computer using drag and drop, or by clicking “Select Files” and browsing.
Once uploaded, all assets appear in your Media Library, where you can edit and manage them.