WordPress offers built-in methods for creating an image gallery or slideshow simply & quickly.
WordPress Image Gallery
A WordPress Image gallery displays a grid of thumbnail images in a post or page. Thumbnails can be clicked to open up a larger view in a Gallery window, where you can navigate through the entire gallery collection.
WordPress Slideshows are automatically scaled to fit the width of your page. Images advance automatically every 6 seconds; user controls (previous, next and pause) appear on mouseover. The option to view full-size images is not available with WordPress slideshows.
Galleries & Slideshows can be built using images already uploaded to your Media Library, or you can upload assets as you edit a post or page.
- Begin by adding or editing a post or page.
- In the Editor window, click “Add Media”
- In the Insert Media window, click the “Create Gallery” link in the left sidebar.
- In the Create Gallery window, click each image you wish to include in the Gallery
- Click the “Create a new gallery” button in the lower right corner.
- Next WordPress shows you the Edit Gallery page. Here you can drag & drop thumbnails to reorder the grid. In the right panel you can also edit the gallery settings, including the number of columns in the gallery grid.
- Notice also the “Type” drop menu in the screengrab above. Select “Slideshow” to create a rotating slideshow of images rather than a grid.
- Click “Insert Gallery”; WordPress returns to the post Editor window.
- Notice the Gallery or Slideshow is represented in the Edit window as a generic media placeholder; click on this placeholder and two buttons appear over the image. One allows you to delete the image; the other opens an Edit Gallery window where you have access to both basic and advanced settings.
- Click “Publish” when you are finished editing the post.
- View the post see your Image Gallery or Slideshow