The Google Document Embedder is a plugin that makes it possible to display Office documents, PDFs, and a few other file formats directly on a post or page. Documents can either be in your WordPress Media Library, or uploaded to your Google Docs account.
NOTE: Go to your Dashboard’s Plugins page and make sure the Google Doc Embedder plugin is activated!
- Upload your document to your Media Library (or to Google Docs)
- Copy the URL for the file: In your WordPress Media Library, click the document’s file name; the FILE URL is shown on the right.
(If your document is in Google Docs, simply copy the URL form there.)
- Open your post or page in edit mode, and type the following shortcode:
- Then paste the URL of your document between the quotation marks:
- Click Publish (or Update) to save your edits.
The GDE plug-in renders the document in an iFrame that allows users to scroll through the entire document, zoom in, open a full view in a new window, or download the file.
Here’s a working example, using a PowerPoint file: